Having heard so much about life on the shores of the Mediterranean from his cousin Soriano, Prince Max decided to take a drive down from his palace to see it for himself. So in 1946, he fired up his charcoal-burning Rolls Royce Phantom and headed for the southern Spain. He wouldn’t have imagined pausing for a picnic in a pine forest on the coast of Southern Spain would lead to the birth of a legend. His son, Prince Alfonso, returned the following year to buy this rural 180,000 square metre enclave. Santa Margarita, the old finca, became the family’s Mediterranean hideaway.
CloseBack to History